Perhaps my ambitions for this project were a little high, as I was constantly asking myself “What am I doing?” throughout much of the process. Originally, I set out to create a device that would make bragging about one’s pet even easier than making a Facebook status, or sending a tweet. I wanted this product to not only function as a practical use of accelerometer data gathered by pets, but a satirical statement on how social media users inflate the importance of their pets’ achievements.
The project hit it’s first roadblock when I found out not only that our professor would be gone for two weeks, but when I realized I had two away competitions on both weekends of week 8 & 9. At this point, I was concerned of the future outcome of the project.
While I was away, I tried to keep up with the network issues that some of the grad students were trying so passionately to resolve. Even though we never ended up getting our boards to connect reliably to PioneerNet, their work, as well as that of Ben from UTS, certainly did not go unnoticed.
Once I realized that the idea of having a device that would be able to post tweets and statuses was somewhat of a pipe dream, I worked more on the data I would be collecting. It was at this point during the process that I reevaluated where I wanted this project to go. I found that I had lost some motivation behind the idea of creating a pet activity monitor. I was having strong second thoughts about the idea.
Once my 9-direction of freedom sensor from Adafruit came, I hooked it up to my Arduino Yún and ran a simple example sketch to start collecting data.
The data I received was simplified into 3 categories or axes; pitch, roll, and heading. These were given in numerical values between 0 and 360.
From here, I was slightly stumped. I realized that perhaps this was not the best kind of data to be collecting if I wanted to continue with the idea of tracking a pet’s daily activity. I needed raw accelerometer data, which would have required a different kind of sensor. Unfortunately, I felt as though time had gotten away from me.
Overall, this project has taught me a lot, not only about programming, and the difficulties in working on the bleeding edge, but on how to approach projects in the future. I think that I doomed myself from the start in choosing to pursue a concept that I was not fully engaged in. If I had a second chance at doing this project, I certainly would have made sure my idea was fully fleshed out. I wouldn’t start working until I was fully enthusiastic about making the idea a reality.